About wxSqueak 4rc1
Rob Gayvert
2006-07-19 15:18:00 UTC
Really I like a lot this product.
Thanks! I hope you'll be able to use it on your projects.
I have been reading also your RoadMap, and I think that will by particulary
useful the 0.8 point (a GUI Builder), but seems as a big project. What plans do
you have about this?
I don't have any definite plans, but I think a good GUI builder is
absolutely essential. wxWidgets has some great raw capabilities for
laying out windows, but hand-coding it is awful.

One thing that is certain is that a wxSqueak GUI builder should be based
on XRC, which is wxWidgets' standard XML-based format. The 0.4 release
has several demos of this. The "XRC Sample" shows that you can create
some fairly complex windows. The "XRC Viewer" shows that you can open up
XRC files created with other tools, like wxDesigner and wxGlade. The rc
directory in the demo distribution has a bunch of samples from these two
tools. Not all of them work, but most do. For example, wxDesigner
supports creating a wxGrid, but there's no support for reading a wxGrid
in the standard XRC library.

While I plan to keep adding onto these demos while I extend the API, I
don't expect to spend a lot of time on a GUI builder for quite some
time. So if someone else wanted to get started on it, that would be
great. We should discuss it here, and come up with a killer design.
Cees de Groot
2006-07-19 15:18:00 UTC
Post by Rob Gayvert
While I plan to keep adding onto these demos while I extend the API, I
don't expect to spend a lot of time on a GUI builder for quite some
time. So if someone else wanted to get started on it, that would be
great. We should discuss it here, and come up with a killer design.
Personally, I'd be just fine using wxGlade (for example) for the time
being. Or a long time being ;). The good thing of this XML format is that
you don't need to biuld all these wheels ;).
Rob Gayvert
2006-07-19 15:18:00 UTC
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:18:23 -0500, Rob Gayvert
Post by Rob Gayvert
While I plan to keep adding onto these demos while I extend the API,
I don't expect to spend a lot of time on a GUI builder for quite
some time. So if someone else wanted to get started on it, that
would be great. We should discuss it here, and come up with a killer
design.
Personally, I'd be just fine using wxGlade (for example) for the time
being. Or a long time being ;). The good thing of this XML format is
that you don't need to biuld all these wheels ;).
Agreed. That's the point I was trying to make with the XRC View demo:
let's see how far these tools will take us. But long-term, I think that
having one integrated in wxSqueak will have some big advantages. And if
someone else wants to tackle it sooner, I wouldn't complain ;)