Update to wxMorphic (v0.04alpha)
Steven Swerling
2006-07-19 15:18:01 UTC
This version implements Doug Ways suggestion of SystemWindows popping up
in their own OS window. A launcher window was added (a Transcript with a
toolbar). Beyond that, mostly just bugfixes and refactoring.

A couple new screenshots, change.log, and downloads available here:

http://www.swerlingphoto.com/squeak/wxmorphic/WxMorphic.html
Cees de Groot
2006-07-19 15:18:01 UTC
Impressive!

(I like the Squeak integrated desktop, but especially when testing with
foreign windows, like web browsers for Seaside apps, the whole desktop
thing gets in the way - so this is extremely useful to me).

Pity I don't have the guts to use it in our app. wxSqueak itself is
bleeding edge enough :)
Steven Swerling
2006-07-19 15:18:01 UTC
Post by Cees de Groot
Impressive!
(I like the Squeak integrated desktop, but especially when testing with
foreign windows, like web browsers for Seaside apps, the whole desktop
thing gets in the way - so this is extremely useful to me).
Pity I don't have the guts to use it in our app. wxSqueak itself is
bleeding edge enough :)
In terms of development, I admit I wonder how much use it is myself (the
multiwindow thing). But it gives me a good way to beat up on wxMorphic
w/out having to develop wxMorphic apps. Every time I open a window or
save the image I get a test of the integrity of the system. Eating your
own dogfood, so to speak. And it looks slick. It also gives wxSqueak
itself a thorough testing -- every single mouse and key event is
handled, and debugging and image save/load issues are about the same.

But the real goal of wxMorphic is to embed morphic panels in wxSqueak
windows, which I hope could be useful for games, help/tutorial systems,
etc. And down the line, maybe wxMorphic could be the basis of an
alternative GUI builder that is very smalltalk-MVP-centric, leverages
XRC, and has deployment wizards, a ui for creating event handlers,
generation of installer, drawing the shape of shaped-windows w/ morphic
paint tools, autogeneration of widget ids to avoid id conflicts, etc.
Some of that stuff can be done w/out morphic, but I think morphic would
help nonetheless.