WxMorphic status report
Steven Swerling
2006-07-19 15:18:01 UTC

WxMorphic is starting to stabilize. In fact it seems to be working quite
well. I can open multiple windows containing WxMorphicPanel's that
either shrinkToFit the viewBox, or use scrollbars.

I've put in all kinds of morphs into the panels, and they all seem to be
working pretty well. All the dev tools work. Aside from the odd crash,
it feels a lot like you're in a regular squeak window. But there are
multiple windows open, and the WxMorphicCanvas can be in a portion of
the window rather than the whole thing.

I'm not sure if the crashes are my fault or not. Occasionally, the
callback process will return "true" instead of the object it was
supposed to, at which point any WxWindows freeze. Sometimes, the main
squeak display freezes in this situation too. I'm using my own
WorldState (WxMorphicWorldState) and I wonder if I could use the UI
thread to detect a stuck callback process and fix it up -- you think
that might be worth a shot?

There's still a few niggling things to get squared away before I share
(a few missing keyboard events, a decent demo or 2, etc). But so far so
good.
Steven Swerling
2006-07-19 15:18:01 UTC
Post by Steven Swerling
I'm not sure if the crashes are my fault or not. Occasionally, the
callback process will return "true" instead of the object it was
supposed to, at which point any WxWindows freeze. Sometimes, the main
squeak display freezes in this situation too. I'm using my own
WorldState (WxMorphicWorldState) and I wonder if I could use the UI
thread to detect a stuck callback process and fix it up -- you think
that might be worth a shot?
Just saw the old post about setting the callback process to check for
"Wx processEvents == true". That helps (never mind on the above
comment). Anyway, I was on the wrong mcz of WxSqueak. Just updated it,
all better.
Rob Gayvert
2006-07-19 15:18:01 UTC
Post by Steven Swerling
Hi,
[...]
Steve -- this is awesome! This truly gives us a chance to combine the
best of both worlds.

I see in your followup that you found the patch to the event process
error. There's still a fundamental bug somewhere in the callback
mechanism. I'm hoping that Andreas' line of questioning on VM
modifications will lead to some resolution of this issue.